Broaden Your Energy Awareness & Spread the Word
Did you know that electricity generation is the single largest source of carbon emissions in the United States? It’s true. SunPower is working to change the way the world is powered. Here are a couple of ways you can help:
- Kill-a-Watt Wherever You Can – Turn off the lights when you leave a room, and turn off power strips in your home when not in use. These tiny acts can save you money and have a bigger impact on your carbon footprint than you ever imagined.
- Be a solar evangelist – Spread the word about the benefits of solar power to your friends and family. Refer them to www.sharesunpower.com. If they purchase or lease a SunPower system as a result, you both earn $200! It’s a win for you, them, and the planet.
Join (or Create) a Community
Find a nonprofit whose work inspires you. Consider the organizations listed below, with whom SunPower regularly collaborates. Or create your own.
- GRID Alternatives empowers communities in need by providing renewable energy and energy efficiency services, equipment and training
- Global Green fosters a global shift toward a sustainable, secure future
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties provides food to underserved residents
- Greenpeace prioritizes global environmental campaigns to protect the oceans, whales and seafood, stop global warming, and eliminate the use of nuclear weapons and toxic chemicals
Transform Your Transportation
There are many ways to ensure that your morning and evening commute is environmentally friendly. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Drive electrified – Electric vehicles emit no pollutants from the tailpipe, so they’re cleaner for the environment. They also generally cost less to operate and maintain. Ford and Nissan have partnered with SunPower to maximize the miles and savings you get when charging your electric vehicle with a SunPower® rooftop solar energy system.
- Dive into the (car)pool – According to a recent report in The Daily Green, sharing a ride with just one other coworker can cut the cost of your commute in half! Plus, you’ll dramatically reduce your carbon emissions, and may reduce your travel time by using HOV lanes!
- Like your bike – Why use four wheels when two will do? May is Bike to Work Month, so pump up your bicycle tires, strap on your helmet, and take a kinder, gentler way to work. At SunPower, we take pride in our ride: We recently received the East Bay Bicycle Coalition’s Annual Bike Friendly Business Award, in the large business category.
We hope that reading these suggestions inspires you to come up with a few Earth-friendly ideas of your own. If so, please comment below! SunPower is eager to share the wisdom and innovation of our community…so check back frequently, and let us know how you’re changing the way your world is powered.